FTC Warns of Increase in Social Security Scams (January 2019)
Prevent Hackers from Accessing Your Accounts (January 2019)To protect your financial information, avoid using the same username and password for every online access. This includes accounts for utilities, purchases, subscriptions, credit cards, 1ST SUMMIT ONLINE, and more. Read on for more tips:
- Use a passphrase instead of a password (random words strung together)
- Make the password at least 12 characters long
- Include numbers, capital letters, and symbols
- Don't post your password in plain sight at work or home
FTC Warns of Combined Spear Phishing and Caller ID Spoofing Attacks (November 2018)
Vacation Giveaway Scams (May 2018)
These scams target you with a sense of urgency to call back and claim your prize. If you've ever signed up to win a prize at a baseball game or the zoo, you may receive a call saying you won a "free giveaway" based on your entry. Most often this is not legitimate. Learn tips on how prevent yourself from falling victim to this scam.
Tips on Selecting a Contractor (April 2018)
Deciding to build a home or renovate an existing one are huge endeavors. You wouldn't trust just anyone with your most important asset-your home. Use these tips to help select a legitimate and reputable contractor for your needs.
- Get insurance certificates showing your contractor carries general liability insurance, including workers' compensation insurance if applicable. (This should cover at least $50,000.)
- Ask them to provide at least 1 year written warranty on workmanship and materials. (ex. roofers may provide 5 years+ warranty)